Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day 1: Hi Everybody!

Good Morning! (or whatever time it is when you're reading this)



The past couple of months have been very strange. There have been so many changes in my life, and I decided it's time to start a blog about it. Everyone has a blog about something, right? Am I the only one in the world without one? This new 'diary' type writing is new for me, so bear with me while I work out the kinks.









First, for those who don't know me, I would like to fill you in. My name is Leslie, and I am a 33 year old married mother of 3 children and a dog- 'Bri', who's 15; 'Renee', she's 12; 'Lil' Nate', my video game warrior, who's 11, and Charlie, who was given to us last year, is 4. My husband, Lawrence, and I have been together for 14 years now. We both grew up in Philadelphia, and we have seen the city (at least the area we were in) go from bad to worse. Lawrence was going nowhere fast at his job, and our kids needed better schooling. I can't seem to hold a job. Let's see - I'll start the list with my first job - I may miss a couple:

summer office assistant
camp counselor
McDonald's (several times)
Roy Roger's (for about a week)
Pine Factory
Thing's Remembered
Stride Rite
Webster Menswear (also for about a week)
Friendly's
Kinderfoto (Lifetouch)
JC Penny Portrait studio (also Lifetouch)
Pitney Bowes Management Services
Independence Blue Cross
Sears Portrait Studio
ADP
Iydide's Daycare (my own child care service)
Gap
CIGNA Tel-Drug
Comcast
Urban Outfitters
PhillyCarShare
and American Red Cross

Whew! Didn't think I had it in me. I think I left out two, a bar and an employment agency, but that's okay, you get the point. There was always something keeping me back from these jobs. I was sick alot, still not sure if I have an actual health issue or if it's in my head, because doctors can't find a definite problem. Anyway, between taking care of family and looking for and holding jobs, I'm not the best homemaker in the world - not even in my 5 mile radius. I've let my house go to pieces many times, and it's been difficult to get motivated to clean when you're burried in a house full of trash.

I'm also not the best hairdresser, either. That's why 6 years ago, I decided to get dreadlocs. It was the best decision for me. I didn't have to do anything but wash it and twist it when I wanted to. It grew longer than my hair has ever grown in my life, and I could style it many ways. This year, however, my hair seemed to get in the way. Since I was changing so much in my life, I decided to change my hair, too.








Speaking of changes, let me tell you about our biggest change. I said in the beginning that we are from Philadelphia, PA. That's the city I knew most of my life. We did have a small stint in Dansville, NY., but we moved back to Philadelphia for better jobs. Our life in Philly was going from bad to just crazy, and I felt like my family was in trouble. Lawrence and I were having issues, my teen daughter was starting to act out, and my other two children were failing in school. In fact, my son is now repeating. I've been wanting to move since we came back to Philadelphia, but we kept trying to make things work.

After moving in different neighborhoods in Philly several times, I had enough. Nothing was getting better, so with the help of my friend, Lawrence found a job in North Carolina, and my friend Nicole helped us find a house. We packed up and moved here July 1st.

The move has been great for all of us. Lawrence loves his job, although he had a huge scare with an emergency medical issue. Bri is in driver's ed., and she's picked up JROTC right where she left off in Philadelphia. Renee and Nate has made lots of friends, and they love the extra freedom they have outside.

As for me, I've started working - in my home. I've become a little more of a domestic princess (not a diva yet), and I've stumbled upon a volunteer opportunity at Renee's school. I've been helping in the media center (library to the older crowd), and I'm really enjoying it. I may start working soon, it depends on if we get a second car (much needed), and if I start school or not.

I will update you on many of these topics as the days go on. If there's anything you want to hear about that's not listed, or you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

Thanks, and welcome to my blog!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Leslie,

Glad to hear that you're getting settled and happy in North Carolina. I'm sure this is going to be the start of many great things. To update you on the "crazy"...check this out.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2008/09/08/exclusive-shakeup-at-philly-care-share/