Monday, June 9, 2014

Best Friends Day

Better late than never... and I started before midnight.

My best friend.
I met my best friend 19 years ago on a community choir. I joined the choir chasing after this young guy I had a crush on in high school - I guy who I shared an amazing kiss with on his porch one summer. His brothers were funny -- they kept peeking out the door to see if we were finished kissing. About 2 years later, I saw him singing at Penn Station on a choir. I got his info and asked him where they met. I went to visit, only to find out he was on the choir with his girlfriend (well, one of them). So I became friends with the girlfriend and backed off the guy. I still joined the choir.
Later, I met another guy who I had lots of fun with. He was very sweet, and he stuck around me as I was going through a depressed state - right before I joined the choir, I broke up with Iyana's dad, so it was just her and I alone in the apartment. He would stay with me, cuddle with me, and keep me comfortable. It was nice. But he had so much going on, and I was just too much of a bad girl for him (or so I assumed).
One day, the day after our anniversary concert, the choir had to meet at Logan Square (or circle, whatever you wanted to call it). I was rather early, so was my soon to be best friend. We hung out that day, and the next weekend, I asked him out on a date.



19 and a half years and five kids later, I still love my best friend. People think I'm crazy to say my husband is my best friend. But even my Nicole (my sister from another mister) understands our strange best buddy relationship. He's my comedian, my caretaker, my business partner, my partner in parenting, my confidant. I still don't know why God put the two of us crazies together, but I thank Him all the time for my Lawrence. 

He is my best friend. 

No comments: