Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I can't swim


Today is National Swim A Lap day. I never learned how to swim.


When I was 5, I went to the neighborhood pool with my aunt and my sister. My sister, who was about seven at the time, decided I needed to get in the water quickly. She picked me up by my waist, and dropped me in 5 feet. Well, you know at five years old you're not tall enough for 5 feet of water. What I remember is staring at the wall... I'm pretty sure I was floating... and then a man grabbing me out of the water by the back of my bathing suit. Amazingly, I held my breath and didn't swallow any water, but I was rather afraid of swimming after that.

When I was about 15, I started working at a camp, and we went to the pool almost every day. I then learned how to hold my breath longer, and I learned how to float. I was even able to move a little - although I wouldn't call it swimming. Thought I was doing well. Problems started, though. As I got older, I had trouble holding my breath, and even had issues with being chest deep in cold water. Lawrence has tried several times to teach me, but it's been useless. I just can't swim. 

I am happy that most of my kids can swim. Two out of the five have a fear of the water but the other 3 love it. I don't even like the water too much anymore... 

Anyway, Can you swim? If so, go out and swim a lap or two. If not.... take a class!

 Tomorrow is National Log Cabin Day and National Catfish Day. Yum!


No comments: